Tuesday, July 5, 2011

National FreedomFest 2011 Day 1

What better way to kick off the 4th of July festivities by rocking it out to a live concert! I invited my friend and fellow photographer Martin and we decided to cover the National FreedomFest. Today I get to be a journalist.

National FreedomFest presented TWO days of DC's most popular National, Regional and Local bands and DJ's. It's held July 3rd and July 4th and there are over 40 bands and DJ's in concert on 5 massive stages, eclectic food vendors and one of a kind craft vendors and so much more. The event was held at The Yards Park - Washington, DC.  There is nothing like listening to jams along a river front.

Washington Redskins Kory Lichtensteiger kicked off the day by announcing the the color guard and the Budweiser horses to come to main stage.

Kory Lichtensteiger

The day started with the color guard presenting the flags while the national anthem played.


Now the ponies arrive. I swear these had to biggest ponies I've ever seen. I don't think the parents allowed kids near these massive creatures. OK, these horses weren't scary at all, not until the drummer of the band wanted to do a sound check in the middle of the presentation. The horses calmed down once they told the drummer was told to stop beating on the drums. OOPS! No harm, no foul...




Now it's on to the music. The first band to play was Rome In A Day. They completely rocked it out. I love every song they played. So good I wanted to put down my camera and just listen.






Now it was on to the river front where The Fuzz was playing. They are a cover band from Northern Virgina. They kept us all highly entertained in this blistering heat.





Our next stop was the DJ area. It was like being in an outside warehouse.



After listening to tunes it was time to find something to drink. And I wished I ate at the festival, the chips looked good.


This VW Bug had a tap. But I decided to get lemonade.


I have to say it was a hot day and there is no better way to cool of then hang out at the pool. I'm not sure if this was a swimming pool but I guess it has become one.






I went back to listen to more tunes that the DJ's where pumping out.




Before calling it a day we checked out one more act.








What a wonderful day and I would like to thanks The Photography Scene for setting everything up for us.  That's the end of my reporting, Mark Anthony signing out.  Hope everyone had a fun fulled 4th of July.


Mark Anthony is a Washington, DC based photographer serving metropolitan DC, Maryland and Virgina area.

To contact him and to book your photo session visit: www.m-anthony.com

5 comments:

  1. Rome in a Day! AWESOME to see them playing at freedom fest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark and W.G.

    Thank you so much for the awesome comments!! These pics are AMAZING!!!

    Is it OK if we post some of these on our FB page?

    All the best!
    `Kris (Rome In A Day)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAH. And PS, my bad on the soundcheck. We were told to get started because we were running behind. OOPS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris you are more then welcome to use the photos taken of your band.

    ReplyDelete